collected book

Posted by: on May 27, 2011 in

for my collected book, I gathered all the envelopes that had windows and #652 which is my mailbox number.

Then I cropped magazines in a way that color blocks would show up on the windows.

I alternated magazine pages and envelops through out the book, and it also had an introduction and the index like part at the end.

 

final project

Posted by: on in

I really like the interaction between art and design, so I’ve always wanted to do graphic design for various fields of art. I think when they meet together, they create an interesting synergy effect. So, for this final project, I wanted to create a visual system for a festival that happens annually during summers, in Seoul, Korea. This festival I chose among many other festivals, had interesting programs and presented many different type of performing arts. Also, this festival was open to every artist no matter they are famous or not, so many underground artists participate in this festival. As I researched more about this festival, I found out that the ticket prices are really cheap, schedules are tight, and the locations are very scattered. The concept of festival was interesting enough and they had full of contents, but I couldn’t really find a consistent visual element to tie them all together as a festival. So, I spent much time thinking about the possible systems and concepts, and the poster was the main part of it.

I wanted to make re-usable posters that they can keep using throughout the event, so I decided to use cut out windows in my posters so they can print photos and titles of performances without designing anything and easily put them into the poster. Also, for the visual element, I created patterns for each categories of performance inspired by rain since the festival is happening in summer. Each cut out window shape is a module for different rain patterns, and people can recognize from far, what type of performance is happening at the location.

I spent too much time thinking about the system, and creating a visual system that ties all different events together was kind of more work than I thought. So I didn’t have enough time forĀ  making catalogs that I planned, but I really enjoyed designing posters, and since I’ve been working on books and small stuffs whole year, this was challenging and fun at the same time.

Last fall semester, the classes I took such as, collage and color, required more instinctive decision on visuals. So I worked mostly with my instinct and inspirations until this semester, and had never set up systems before. Sometimes this class was not easy for me because I was not used to set up systems, but this class helped me to think more logically, and I really liked unexpected results that come out of the systems. I think, by creating visual system, people can understand and enjoy my design more and better.

generative system

Posted by: on in

I did my one week assignment again, so it is different from what I had in class.

I cut small squares out of random 6 consecutive pages from a book and made into a cube (1″x1″). Then, I started to use it like a dice to analyze this book.

For each page, I threw the dice, and crossed off the words that appear on the face of dice.

Some of the pages got more words crossed off than the others, and some of them got less.

Surprisingly, many of pages got thirty to forty percent of words crossed off.

Once I get done with every page, I am thinking to reorder the book from pages that had less words crossed off to more words crossed off , which means more unique pages to banal pages.

 

pattern

Posted by: on in

occupational outlook

Posted by: on April 27, 2011 in

I made volume ‘B’ of occupational outlook handbook series.

My main part of concept was to make separate booklet for each occupation and people would be able to take out only what they want.

So I used binder format, and I color coded each catalog according to categories of job to make it easier to find.

However, the color coded spine on the catalogs had to be on the other side of spine of binder to make people be able to go through, so I made the binder to start from the back so that each catalog would be just readable as usual way starting from front.

Cover helped a lot to indicate where to start.

Also, I created a numeral system with dots and applied throughout the book.

 

 

 

circle poster/ Anna

Posted by: on April 20, 2011 in

Litter/Anna

Posted by: on in

walking/ Anna

Posted by: on in